Winter is Coming...
There is a chill in the air and believe it or not, winter is just around the corner! Is your home ready for temperatures to drop? If the answer is no, don’t stress. We have you covered. Here are five easy ways to winterize your home.
1. Winter proof your windows
Make sure your windows are winter-ready. Check the weather-stripping and replace it if necessary. If your windows are old or damaged, they may be letting a significant amount of cold air in, which can spike your energy bill. Find a pro that can help you determine if it's time to replace your windows (a-hem...us)
2. Turn your ceiling fans clockwise
Time to change up your ceiling fans. By turning your fans clockwise, your fans will push heat from the ceiling toward the floor, keeping your home warmer.
3. Upgrade your thermostat
Business Insider recommends installing a programmable thermostat that you can set to automatically lower the heat during the daytime when you are out of the house to save money on heating costs.
4. Seal up areas that are causing drafts
Sealing drafts will save you up to 30% of your annual energy use. Here are a few steps you can take to seal up your home and eliminate drafts:
- Install a dryer vent seal to prevent cold air from getting inside.
- Check the foundation of your house for cracks and seal them up.
- Remove your window A/C unit for the winter.
- Close the damper on your fireplace when it is not in use.
5. Check your water heater
You can turn down your water heater to 120 degrees without suffering from any negative side effects. In addition to lowering your water heater temperature, check to be sure your pipes are well insulated to avoid frozen or burst pipes.