Living with your New Units
26. Practice operating the windows with older children and show them how to attach and use chain ladders.
27. Keep furniture, cribs, or anything children can climb, away from windows.
28. Before ordering windows, make sure to examine the unit’s locking system and operations. Multi-point locks help provide more protection against intruders and make it more difficult for curious young children to operate.
29. If you need to use window guards on the interior of your windows, make sure they are operable and can easily be removed. Practice detaching the guards with children in case they need to exit through a window in an emergency.
30. Lock your windows. Don’t just close them, but lock them, which creates an airtight seal that keeps out air leaks and drafts.